2007-01-07

I just wanna commit nothing

A good article: if u don't want window to be opened, do not post "don't open me" on the window, just remove the handle of the window.

But the other example is questionable. The author suggest that disable the "commit my comments" button if the user hasn't entered any word. But it maybe make some users think comments is not allowed here. It's not like the "save" button, which should be disabled if nothing changed, there is subtle diffence which hard to express.

I understand the author don't like the popup alert dialog, so do I. A common way replace alert, is inserting the hint in red bold font below the textarea, or fadein/fadeout the messages on top of the page. The latter becomes very popular in recent web 2.0 sites.

In my opinion, popup dialog is not always evil. But the word is. "Please enter your comments" is too genteel and so boring. Let's say "Hey guy, you didn't enter anything!" with two choice: "Oops, it's a misplay..." and "I just wanna commit nothing!"

No comments: